Regatta @ Boomerang Lagoon
** May 12 ONLY **
This is a new event for Physics/Science/Math Days that
we are going to try out during the 2017 season. If all goes
well, this will be a contest for every day. This year's
contestants will be setting the bar for future PSM'ers.
A course will be set out in Boomerang Lagoon, approximately 20
meters (60 feet) long. Boaters will wade out to the start line,
release their boats on signal from the starter, then reclaim
their craft at the end of the course, also wading. Time will be
available for checking wind direction, angle of the sail, etc.
before the event.
Boats will be wind powered only. They can be as simple as a
piece of wood or milk carton, or a more advanced design built
more like a real sailing craft. There should be no advantage to
have a boat that costs more than $5-10 to build, so thought
should go to recycling and use of non-nautical materials.
- The boat shall be a maximum of 30 cm long.
- The single sail shall be no more than 900 cm2 (30
cm x 30 cm, the size of a handkerchief). It does not need to
be square in shape, but to assist the judges, it should be a
regular geometric shape.
- The depth of the boat under water shall be no greater than
- Beyond these specifications, some thought should go into how
to bring the boat to Great America and get it to the regatta
site - Boomerang Lagoon.
- Upon reaching Boomerang Lagoon, a member of the team shall
present the completed entry
form to the judges. A "lane" will be assigned to
the boat for the contest.
- If the number of craft exceeds the number of lanes, two or
more heats will be run with winners going against winners for
- After time to assemble the boat, adjust sail angle, etc.,
contestants will be instructed to bring their boat to the
starting line. This requires wading out into the lagoon at a
depth of 75 cm (2.5 feet). A swim suit is recommended as well
as some sort of foot wear like flip flops or water shoes. Plan
- After getting all the entrants lined up, the starter will
give a signal to release the boats and the race will be on.
- Team members may not affect the performance of their boat
once the race has started.
- The starter/judge will determine winners at the finish line.
- Recognition for participation will be given with special
prizes for the top places
Location: Boomerang Lagoon