DODGE - qualitative
1. In a head-on crash, you feel like you are thrown a. forward b. backward
2. When you are hit from the rear, you feel like you are thrown a. forward b. backward
3. You feel like you are thrown forward when your car a. stops b. starts
4. You feel like you are thrown backward when your car a. stops b. starts
5. You feel the biggest jolt when you hit another car6. Taking a look at items 1-4 above, describe what really happens to you in each case. Use Newton's 1st Law of Motion in your thinking.a. head on b. in the back c. on the side
Use MASS and DECELERATE in two sentences about the BUMPER CARS.
Each drawing below represents an overhead view of two bumper cars just before they collide. The circle in the middle of each drawing represents the location of the rider. The arrows indicate the direction each car is moving.
Directions: Draw your own arrow within each circle showing the direction the rider is thrown by the collision.
For each kind of collision, use the concept of MOMENTUM to explain the direction of your arrows showing how passengers are thrown by the collision.
Click here to download a pdf version
of this worksheet